|175 acres surveyed for Alexander Thompson 1799|
|200 acres surveyed for Alexander Thompson 1799|
|Modern mapping of the surveys|
Alexander Thompson was born between 1770-1761 according to the 1830 Census of Pulaski County. He was married to Mary "Polly" Norton, daughter of Messer Norton who is listed as chain carrier on both of Alexander's survey's. He was listed on the 1810 Census of Wayne county Kentucky, and the 1820 Census of Pulaski County Kentucky. His surveys are very close to the Wayne and Pulaski county lines. Alexander is listed on the 1831 tax list for Pulaski County Kentucky. He may have removed to Benton county Alabama shortly before his death, or he may have died in Kentucky and his widow removed to Benton county Alabama to be with an older child there prior to the settlement of his estate. There are no land records in Alabama for Alexander. Deed records regarding the Power of Attorney given to his son William D. Thompson to sell the property in Pulaski County are recorded in Deed Book 10, page 61-73, dated 1838. Names of his heirs are listed. Polly Thompson, Alexander's wife, also relinquished her right of dower. Final settlement was in Alabama in 1841.
Children of Alexander Thompson and Mary "Polly" Norton are:
1. John A. Thompson was born 25 Feb 1795. Census records read he was born in Tennessee. By 1835 John and his wife, Martha Harper, had removed to St. Clair County Missouri. He died there 8 July 1867 and is buried at the Iconium Cemetery, St. Clair County, Missouri. Photo of his tombstone can be found at Findagrave.com.
2. William D. Thompson was born about 1797 in Kentucky. His wife's name was Mary. He died in February of 1849 according to the 1850 Mortality Schedule of Benton, now Calhoun County Alabama.
3. Anna "Anny" Thompson was born about 1805. She married Oswell Griffin. This family, too, removed to Benton, now Calhoun County Alabama. She died about 1878. Bible records of Oswell Griffin give some information about this family. See footnotes: http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jareeves&id=I1280
4. Martha "Patsy" Thompson was born about 1806 in Kentucky and died after 1860. She married Eli Phillips. This couple were on the 1860 Census St. Clair County, Alabama.
5. Mercer Thompson was born 18 May 1807 in Kentucky. He married Matilda Sullins. He married second, Cassandra Elizabeth..... He also migrated to Alabama. He died there 25 Nov 1887 Etowah County, Alabama. He and both wives are buried at the Lebanon Avent Cemetery in Gadsden, Etowah County. Photos of stone at Findagrave.com
6. Sampson Thompson was born 1 Aug 1809 in Kentucky. He married 21 Mar 1829 Pulaski County Kentucky Elizabeth Fry, daughter of Valentine Worley (per consent). Alexander gave written consent for this son, as did Valentine Worley. Mercer Thompson was witness to both consents and Bondsman. He and his wife are buried at Lystra Baptist Church Cemetery in Cullman, Alabama. Eliza Thompson died 1901. Photo of her stone can be found at Findagrave.com
7. Hester "Hettie" Thompson was born about 1810 in Kentucky. She married Humphrey Hardwick 5 Dec 1833 in Wayne County Kentucky. She died after 1864, Humphrey Hardwick died 20 Sept 1862 according to the affadavit Hettie filed for his pension. He is buried at Zion Hill Cemetery Calhoun County Alabama.
8. Leonard Thompson was born about 1811 in Kentucky. He married Mary "Polly" Laughlin 14 Feb 1837 in Calhoun County Alabama. He was living in Jackson County Alabama in 1870.
9. James Thompson was born about 1815 in Kentucky married Ann Grimes 28 Mar 1837 Benton/Calhoun County Alabama. He was living in Calhoun County Alabama in 1860.