Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Prayers for Japan

It's been a little hard to write a blog with all the tragedy coming across the news about the Great Earthquake in Japan that was immediately followed by a terrible tsunami, which literally swept thousands of people away. Words like devastation, destruction, and now 'nuclear meltdown' are dashed across the headlines. 


I am wondering where my friend Meiko Inami is at the moment. Meiko was a fellow Anthropology student at Eastern Kentucky University. Like me she returned to education after her family was grown. Unlike me she managed to study in a language that was not her native tongue.  A task I would not attempt. What courage and stamina!! While here, she was also an interpretor for Japanese visitors to Kentucky. 


We have corresponded over the years since graduation. I have often thought I would like to visit Japan. Meiko would send me calendars from Japan, perhaps, to mark the days until I would visit, as well as, a daily reminder of my friend. 


My thoughts are for those who are grieving, and my thankfulness is for those who have survived. 


Hoping to hear from you soon, Meiko!!

No comments:

Post a Comment